The Canadian Sport Institute, through a partnership with the Province of BC and viaSport, the network of PacificSport Centres, and the BC Freestyle Ski Association (BCFSA) collaborates to deliver programs and services to place BC Athletes on National Teams, and ensure athletes and coaches have every advantage to win medals for Canada. The partners work jointly to encourage sport excellence and increase podium performances in communities throughout British Columbia. Through the above partnership, and with the above purpose in mind, the BC Freestyle Ski Association may nominate athletes and their coaches who meet specific criteria for Canadian Sport Institute / PacificSport athlete or coach registration. Upon registering, athletes and coaches can engage in enhanced programs, benefits, and selected support services through the Canadian Sport Institute and the network of PacificSport regional centres in BC. Canadian Sport Institute and PacificSport athlete support is divided into four levels based on performance, each with a slate of designated benefits.
- GymWorks™ (free/discounted fitness facility access)
- Access to benefits and discounts on sport performance products at local community supporters and FoodStuff™ partners
- Access to sport education opportunities: including the Sport Performance Speaker Series, the Athlete Advance™ at no cost
- Access to apply for grants and bursaries (centre-specific)
- Direct access to knowledgeable, resourceful and helpful athlete services staff in their region
- Athlete resource information overview: Performance Points, Athlete Logbook, Performance Health Handbook, Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada, SportLaw
- Medical resources information: Canadian Athlete Insurance Program (CAIP), Travel Insurance,
- Information on anti-doping in sport: Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport, Global Drug Reference Online, World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), Canadian
- Anti-Doping Policy
- Athlete/Coach programs: IGNITE™, Canadian Sport School™, Advanced Coaching Diploma, International Coaching School.
Freestyle BC in cooperation with the Canadian Sport Institute and PacificSport, have created a set of criteria for selection to the Freestyle BC Nomination List. There is no application process. Athletes are selected by Freestyle BC, and a list is submitted to an ADA (Athlete Development Advisor) at the Canadian Sport Institute. Please click the link to view the selection criteria.
Personal coaches can also receive access to services if they currently coach an athlete selected to the Nomination List. Like the athletes, coaches will receive a notification via email. For more information on services for coaches, please click here.
I am an athlete, how do I know if I can get access?
Upon approval of the Freestyle BC Nomination List, athletes and coaches will be notified via email from BCFSA and provided with the information to complete enrolment at one of the nine (9) centres across the province. Athletes and their coaches can make an appointment at their corresponding centre to complete their intake meeting.
Why am I not on the list?
If an athlete’s name is not on the Nomination List, and they believe that it should be, they and their personal coach are advised to contact [email protected]. They will need to be prepared to identify under what selection criteria they feel they should be selected for. Once the appeal is received, it will be considered on a case by case basis by Freestyle BC and the Canadian Sport Institute.